Thursday, June 3, 2010

Chasing the past





We have a summer house near the beach and recently my husband thought we buy some bicylces. He, typically, found a nice new very attractive brushed steal high-end bike. I immediately went on Ebay to search out a vintage Peugeot white bicycle with orange lettering and a tan leather seat. It surprised that I instantly knew what I wanted, I had never thought of buying a bike before. Why wouldn't I just get a new more comfortable one?

My mother-in-law once commented on how I liked hard to find things. I had never thought about how true that was. My job at the time was sourcing vintage furniture and lighting at Roman and Williams. I loved the hunt of finding old things.

Wether it's furniture - lighting, clothing, music, cars or movies. Searching out hard to find things is a thrill for me. Especially with clothes. I'm always trying to track down late 80's early 90's Yamamoto, or Helmut Lang's last two collections in 2005.
If I actually drove a car, I wish it would be a Jaguar E type.

Furniture and lighting I'm always searching for.

Movies- american 70's, french new wave, Italian films from the 50's and 60's.

Old things have a soul, a moment in time that we can somehow still be a part of. Sometimes they seem more relative out of context and absorbed into our present lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment